Just two weeks back , my father’s employer , who at times treats me like a friend when we are engaged in a general conversation and vice versa , loss his mother due to old age . Old age I say is because she was 94 years old and has already lived her life to the fullest . Unfortunately , I was unable to attend the funeral held the very next day after she passed away because it was a working day and the funeral was held in another state ( hometown ) hence my absence . I hope it was not much of an issue to him to notice if I was ever present at the wake or the funeral service but my father of course being an employee , made his way to the hometown of his employer to pay his last respect . Somehow rather , I felt a guilty sense inside of me because I was unable to be present at the wake physically . Hence , in order to make up for my absence I decided to sent in a condolence card together with a small contribution $$$ ( something normal that is usually practise in my culture whenever we attend a funeral as a way of voluntary contribution towards funeral and other incurred expenses ) . I managed to pass this envelope containing the card and $$$ not to him personally but rather placed it at his office table via my dad . It’s been exactly two weeks now , not even a word or emel or sms of thanks ! I truly understand his present situation being a person of authority and respected individual within the community but I’m sure a sms of thanks does make a whole lot of difference to me – ME - a no one rather than he pretending of not receiving any at all ! What’s wrong with people these days ??? Or is this just due to mere ignorance ? It’s just like the ungrateful craving for undivided attention and somehow successfully gained it but at the end , it was I who ended up hurting ( and losing my $$$ in the process – stupid me ! ) . By the way , this is not the first time such an event has happened . Many other civilized or should I just say ‘ educated human beings ‘ have failed to acknowledge or be thankful / grateful for what they have receive , obtained , achieved or been blessed with either from another individual or from a group . Oh and before I forget , there’s another ungrateful human being in the office – the place where I work , who just returned to work after being away for two month on maternity leave and as usual , the department ( meaning $$$ from other staff’s pocket & including mine ) contributed a cash gift towards the birth of her child . And this bitchy character also have failed to acknowledge a word of thanks for the gift contribution made !!!Now you tell me ! how much indeed is a Thank You worth ? I guess I’ll have to think not twice but maybe think it over a few times before I make any gift or cash contribution to someone whom I think will appreciate it sincerely .
2 comments:
Well, some people just don't say thank you. I don't know what is their problem...
That said, I find manners to be a very important aspect in daily interaction with people.
the guy may not have seen your card since you didn't give it to him directly.
in any case, just like your colleague who has just given birth, when we make a contribution, it's a token of remembrance/acknowledgement of the occasion. even if the person don't reciprocate, don't take it too personally, as long as we know we have done our parts. there must be reasons they didn't show any appreciation, but they matter not, or else you'll be consumed by angry thoughts.
life is too short for something so trivial.
Post a Comment