- time
- money
Thank goodness , I somewhat manage to balance both on my own and without having to seek for assistance from any family member . Only setback , my weekends were fully occupied with classes and additional classes and working on endless assignments – something that is to be expected when I made the decision to study .
The college fee was indeed manageable despite the course being a UK based teaching programme and syllabus . Although I had always known that I was going to do something else after being in this banking sector for cow’s years , I regret to say this that I had neglected to build a sufficient college fund during all those years. I opted for bags, clothes and other accessories. Oh, no. please, do not read me wrong. I have no regrets whatsoever for rewarding myself after days , weeks , months and years of hard work --- but --- I wished I had saved more for the future. And that silly, silly me didn't. As a result, all I could afford was pursuing a UK based education locally. Inside of me , there still this desire to pursue a foreign education truly in a foreign land , something that I regretted not pestering my parents to send me for back then despite being financially tight . And for this, I’m still regretful to this very day.
I never expected myself to succeed moderately well academically . Career wise , I always believed that experience comes in first then later on , education . That’s basically why I decided to study and work at the same time during my earlier pursuit of experience in the working world . But somehow I often failed academically being unable to balance between work and studies and eventually gave up half way through . The same thinking of not bothering my parents financially and wanting to manage all by myself was already in me – or is it a natural feminine instinct ??? Oh boy, I was in for a great experience in my lifetime.
Anyways, fast forward almost 7 months later, here I am proudly submitting my final assignment based paper course . Proudly showing off my hardwork being a student albeit only for teacher’s qualification ; even only for a short length of time. What have I managed to take home from this experience?
Don't speak until you know what you are talking about.
Don't assume until you have all the facts.
Don't doubt your ability: if you think you can, you really can.
Don't be scared of change. Change is good. It broadens your horizon.
Don't let time and/or money distract you from your goals in life.
Be prepared to discover and learn something new every day.
When I was a little girl, I was somewhat saddle mind not knowing and understanding what I wish to become . Some of my so called ‘ friends ‘ influenced my decision about what I should do , where I should go or ‘ guiding ‘ as to how I should lead my life . Bloody silly of me to listen to those ‘ friends ‘ ! It was hell being unemployed for two years ! Yes – I have people who tell me ‘ but you are only 20 ‘ , but that does not mean I should not be given a chance to prove myself first ! ………… you think being unemployed is fun ??? As for now , things have changed. My parents may not be swooning with pride but I believe I must have did good in some areas . I did it for me, and for them ( if only they know it ……….) . But it just wasn't enough for me and for them . Being a banker was never in my list of ambition ………….it was over-rated. It was a complete myth, as far as I am concerned. It was nothing like I had imagined. But it was essentially a choice to either remain in misery or turn it around. I made a humble decision to pursue a specialty that I found interesting, challenging and personally rewarding --- and how lucky, I have never looked back since doing this teacher’s training course . My only regret – I should have started this years ago ! SIGH ! This specialty has already exposed me to what I can expect from my students [ future students I mean :) ] and to expect the unexpected . When I chose to pursue a teachers training course , some of my peers did curiously ask: why teaching ? And to that I responded: why not?
Doing the course has taught me more than just how to critically appraise the education system. My outlook to life in general has definitely altered. I even feel like I am a better person just by going through this invaluable experience. All the managerial concept I learned were more than relevant to my personal development and I have learned that reflection is an active process that is regularly required in order to improve myself; to be a better person in all aspects of my life. It made me think that although I do have had regrets for all my mistakes and miscalculations in the past , there are no reasons for me not to learn from it and change to become a better me --- although hard and challenging, there will be benefits to reap at the end of the journey. It may be just another education to some, but to me, it surely meant more than a piece of paper. And it surprises me too, for when I started it was purely for academic reason and to explore other career opportunities . Better still , I came out of it, a better person.
You know another thing ? Being in the banking industry has it’s wonders too . It has indeed taught me a lot of things about life , management in the corporate field as well as around and most of all , financial prudence . I have encountered people who are very successful in life even to the rank of holding many degrees and masters and what not , even a CEO is not spared and somehow failed along the way because of bad money management . I was given the privilege to attend various trainings and courses all about financial prudence and managing your life and mind wisely and honestly . Trust me , if you know how to manage your money wisely , your living expenses will be more than enough to save you a lifetime . It’s all in the planning and learning to say ‘ NO ‘ to the unnecessary .
I’m truly grateful to my parents for this life . My inspirations were none . We were not rich but we were never poor. We were loved and cared for in the best way possible and never once would we be denied of any opportunity to learn. I had the best books that any bookstores could offer. I had all the complete range of textbooks to learn from. We were even dressed in the best outfits from famous brands back then such as Doshi and Robinsons ( yup – the were around for a VERY long time indeed ) . Little did I know that my parents were often left with barely the minimum at the end of the month to feed eleven mouths . We were never let to know, only told to do well in school and go to universities so we could obtain whatever it is that we ever want in this world. Something useful that I heard from a senior citizen , if you are not rich but you are educated, you will never be poor --- but , if you are rich with no education, there are always that risk that you may become poor. And I have believe to that saying till this very day .
Well, this is the end of one chapter in my ever-evolving and boring life. Yup – it’s that BORING ! This meant so much to me that I figured I owe myself a special entry. I believe in celebration, even if it just a small win and giving away and sharing what I’m blessed with to others ( ps/: I just treated myself with an exquisite watch that I’ve been admiring for a very long time ! wink ! wink ! ) . That's what life should be about. Be mindful, be in the moment, be the best you can ever be.
No comments:
Post a Comment