Wednesday, May 2, 2012

To Sin........or Not to Sin........

I have often asked myself if its possible to not commit a sin - at all. To become holy. Then I find myself wondering what ' holy ' really means. I of course turn to the best source of information - God , and His Word!

" If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us " (I John 1:8 ). I think this verse goes for every day of my life. I cannot say that I have had a great day and that I have not sinned at all today. Or any day for that matter. From what I understand, it is not right to claim that we are not sinners or have not sinned at any time or period of our lives. Here is another verse that tells us this , " My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent . It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time ; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts . At that time each will receive his praise from God "                                         (1 Corinthians 4:4-5 - NIV).
I understand that there isn't a verse in the Bible that states we sin everyday, what we can gather from the Bible in short is that we have inherited the capacity to commit sinful acts everyday. Sin was brought into earth by man and so was death by sin. Therefore death past upon man and so has sin. This is only my personal understandings and beliefs  -  I could be wrong .............

Now for the Good News. " Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him ; and if he repent , forgive him. And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him" (Luke 17:3-4 - KJV) . Jesus is teaching us of the virtue of forgiveness. We are thought to forgive even if the sin towards us us repetitive. This is because every man may sin each day. the great news is that we are thought to practice forgiveness, as His life and death model this virtue.

Just to share a little foolish secret - on forgiveness of sin - knowing and being conscious of my sins and yet , allowing it to happen and knowing very well that my God will forgive me - that's being a hypocrite - rite ? What happens then to me ? Do I still get my ' ticket ' to heaven or do I need to do ' time ' in purgatory ? Anyone ???

I often find myself in a wave of mood swings and emotions and detach myself from all things familiar and comforting. My family, friends , fellow colleagues and most of all God. But somehow I know that I will find myself out of that cave I hide in......... and He will always lead me back on track again... :)





No comments: