THE PARADOX OF LIFE ; WHO AM I ? “ We recognize that there are no trivial occurrences in life if we get the right focus on them. “ - Mark Twain
Monday, June 1, 2009
PREJUDICE bites the dust !
From my understanding of the meaning of the word PREJUDICE , is a baseless and usually negative attitude toward members of a group. Common features of prejudice include negative feelings, stereotyped beliefs, and a tendency to discriminate against members of the group. Others include an opinion or judgment formed without due examination; prejudgment; a leaning toward one side of a question from other considerations than those belonging to it; an unreasonable predilection for, or objection against, anything; especially, an opinion or leaning adverse to anything, without just grounds, or before sufficient knowledge. An unknown intellect by the name of Walter Lippman once said and labeled beliefs as stereotypes " Pictures In Our Heads " . He goes on to explain that images are fixed or unchanging and are the same image every time . What each does is based not on direct and certain knowledge but pictures made by one self . People experiences and perspectives color the landscape of their beliefs and tends to navigate their social world . Here is a scenario of a real life situation I would like to explain :-
I have a friend whom I've known since early schooling years as young as seven years old . She comes from a mixed parentage background hence she has the best of both worlds . We were pretty much interactive during those early schooling years despite her often show off attitude and arrogance and sarcasm. We even got to know each other parents and siblings. Then , we moved on to higher level of education till we reach the very last years of our schooling journey . She went on to pursue her higher education in a foreign university as always a rich kid experiences when he or she has rich parents . She went on and graduated , started her own business and family and eventually settled down in her husband's country . Now this is where the problems sets in. She only keeps in communication with fellow classmates ( I happen to be one of them ) who are married with kids just because she has two of her own . She thinks that if you are still single and have not settled down in life , that means you have not found the real meaning of life ! How can one's mind be so shallow just because of a status ??? I may not have rich parents but I'm truly indeed greatful and thankful for my blessings of good education , a great job with a foreign based organisation which comes with a whole bunch of fun colleagues to hang out with , and what the hell - FREEDOM to do anything as and how I wish . Aren't you missing out on that ? Prejudice has it's set of logics and unlogical thinking .
So says E.B. White - prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts. I guess this former friend of mine has her own opinions and thoughts running wild in her head hence her reactions and perceptions of being a prejudice bitch ! ( my apology for the language ) ........
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment