Friday, December 18, 2009

When friendship is put to test !

Recently or not too long ago , I helped out a friend who came to me seeking for my assistance to do something .This friend of mine – is a classmate since secondary school. Lost contact over the years and somehow kept in touch in recent years with the help of FACEBOOK. Helping others is nothing unusual to me as I’ve always like to help people in any way that I’m able to do so and if I’m not able to so , I’ll be pretty straight forward with my response to the other party . It all started with a phone call some six months ago – thanks to FACEBOOK for that ( & now I regretted adding my contact details on FB ) ! However after that I manage to hide my contact details from FB allowing those who wish to contact me via emel on FB only . So – coming back to this friend of mine , she wanted to know or rather obtain some information from me that I was exposed to for a very long time due to my family’s status and she wanted it all darn fast and achievable . You see – she want’s to get married but did not have the sufficient or acquired knowledge and documents to do so ( kept me thinking if she was pregnant hence the urgency ! – NAH !!! none of my business anyway ! ) . So , as helpful as I am I explained to her every itsy bitsy detail of the required info and documents in order to get married within the church’s teaching and principals . She continued with her numerous phone calls with further questions and queries on how and who to contact . After a while – some four to five months later , neither did I receive a call or emel from her – and just wondering how she was going about with her preparation for marriage . Just few weeks back , I discovered that she already got married – and yes you are rite – I was not invited to the wedding ! Now this kept me thinking , no though money was not involved in this scenario but it’s rather how often our contacts or who we know tends to make a big difference at the end of the day . I’m just wondering , should I continue helping people who comes my way or should I just play plain deaf and dumb ??? I was extremely ‘ utilized ‘ to the maximum ………………………………….and mind you this is not the first time people have made use of me or my talents or contacts but in this case – it was rather painful !

3 comments:

doc said...

you should, if you can, continue to help those who need it, without expecting a return, otherwise, you'll be disappointed. i know it's easier said than done, but that's how it is. you do not know which lives you will touch with your help & surely, God will bless you in ways you don't expect.

Terra Shield said...

It sucks, I know... but do what your heart/conscience tells you to.

Unicorn Girl said...

Doc : I do help without ever expecting anything in return but the toughest part here is - when you are being made use of !!!


Terra : Thanks dear .